Solaris RPG

Odessa walked back into the tavern just behind a strange bird beastkin. She had never seen one until today and now has seen 6 of them.

"well make yourself comfortable."

She walked past everyone for a moment. Heading actually behind the bar and to the door of the back room.  Poking her head inside.  While she grabbed two more of those golden beers.   One for her and one for the new guy or girl she wasn't sure yet. 

"Gremlock seems to have everything under control."

After updating Arnie on the fact that no fight is about to bust through the front door.  She rejoins her friends at the table.  Handing the avian the beer.   She would be sure to pay Arnie he's been to nice not to after all. 

"so what is your name?"

"I'm Odessa,  that's Terra,  Janza,  and Valene"

She gestured to each of the girls as she said their name. 

"Let's cheers to new friends and old friends"

Edited by Odessa

Sirak entered the tavern cautiously. He was scared, nervous, and starting to wish he had never left his homeland above the clouds. "What was I thinking?" he asked himself. His father would never let this go, and he knew it. As Odessa told him to "get comfortable" he reluctantly grabbed a wooden chair and pulled it up to the table where they all sat.

He took a seat, briefly paused, and finally spoke after Odessa introduced everyone "My name is Sirak Cloudstrider," his voice was a bit scratchy, being a bird and all. "As you may have already heard. I am from a place far beyond the clouds called Skyhold City. My people do not normally come to the Lowlands... and I have broken many of our laws to be here now."

Sirak eyed the glass of beer, cocking his head to one side. He noticed they were all drinking the stuff, so he took the glass and carefully took a drink. He let out a strange noise and shivered as the flavor hit him. He wasn't familiar with this... beer stuff. He cautiously kept an eye on the big blue man, something about him struck fear into him.

"My father, Giran, will not leave until I return with him... but I do not wish to go back there, at least not yet," he said, the beer already starting to loosen his tongue a bit. He took another drink and continued.

"I mean, what's wrong with wanting to learn about the Lowlands and the people here?" he asked. He just didn't understand why his father was so ridiculously strict for no apparent reason.

He never would understand it, and from what his grandfather Girak told him, there was little to fear from these people, unless you encounter a Vegonian or Ardanian that is, who were a part of the Black Empire.

Girak had taught Sirak all about the Black Empire and it's citizens. He knew exactly what Arngrim was, an Ardanian. Why were the people here working with an Ardanian?

He wondered about it briefly before finally noticing the plate in the center of table was full of miscellaneous bird parts slathered with some sort of sauce.

He gulped noticeably at the realization that they were eating bird. Maybe this was all a trick and he was the main course.

Sirak grew a bit pale rather suddenly... or perhaps it was just the alcohol getting into his previously untainted stomach.

Terra lifted her glass to the group and began to slowly sip at the sour tasting drink. She heard what Odessa had said, but she was unaware of who she was talking about, as she was still distracted by the blue man that would pop-out now and then. And as she eventually drank enough, there was a blurred image that appeared in the bottom of her glass. It became a guessing game for her, drawing from images of her friends and foes, but none of them matched the brown blob in the bottom of her glass.

Janza watched as her partner was about to finish her drink with one breath, and she wondered how she would react to the new addition to the party. It was nothing new to her, as she had already felt its presence long before it showed itself. 

"Take a breath, dear."

Terra slammed her glass down as she finished her drink, and she finally got a proper look at the individual in front of her. It wasn't immediate at first, but she processed the image and pointed a stiff finger.

"You can talk?!"

Odessa was leaning back in her seat as the young man settled into his seat, and started to introduce himself and tell his story.  She quietly nodded a few times while listening.  Hearing him talk about his father she couldn't help but make a quick and rude quip.

"Yeah your pops seems like a real dick.  Personally I don't see anything wrong with it at all.  He is acting more like you are a runaway slave than a free person.   Do you have any special responsibilities you are neglecting back home to be here?"

She was trying to pry a little to see if he would give a bit more detail about his own personal situation.   Cause she seriously can't fathom a good reason to warrant this "man hunt" to bring him home.  Hearing Terra's glass slam down and about 3 seconds latter as she pointed to Sirak and said something.   Odessa covered her face with her hand total face palm.   She shook her head before looking at Terra.

"Seriously?  You find that weird.  Some of the stories you have told me of home are much weirder than this.  After all seems to me he is just a rare form of Beastkin."

She noticed the boy start to turn green a bit.  Reaching over into the plate of bird legs.  Grabbing another one and taking a bite out of it.  Seriously the thought that these are a little to close to home for the bird boy hasn't crossed her mind once.   But she would also eat a hamburger in front of a Bovine Beastkin and not blink either.  She doesnt consider them beasts or animals at all.

"Are you ok Sirak?"

"Please excuse her. It appears that she has drunk more than she can handle." Janza took the glass away from Terra and placed it on the table behind them. She then crossed her legs and listened to the two strangers.

"I'm really getting tired of you controlling everything that I do as if I can't take care of myself. I am a princess and general to the demonic army!" Terra attempted to take one of the other drinks on the table. "Always taking my fun away..."

"You really are an impressive looking creature. Is it difficult for you to fly with that body, or are you able to soar with ease?" Janza wasn't one to judge, but she thought it might be hard with it's build.

"A slave? No, it's not that bad... He just does what he's told by the Council of Elders. He may be king, but the king is forced to adhere to a strict set of rules put forth by our council. Unfortunately it's been that way since long before he was around. If he doesn't comply with their laws, he'll be removed from power and possibly exiled, or imprisoned."

Sirak looked at the glass of beer in his feathered hand. It tasted terrible to him, but he was enjoying the warm fuzzy feeling it was providing. As Sirak took another drink he listened carefully to the interaction between the women at the table. He'd just slipped right into their little world and they invited him with arms wide open. It seems so strange to him.

Answering Terra's question, "It is very easy for us to fly. I'm not as heavy as I look. Our golden armor isn't made of gold either, it's a special alloy created from an ore found under our city at the top of the mountain. As far as we know, the ore from the mountain isn't found anywhere else in the world. That's one of the reasons our people chose the mountain."

He took another drink and quietly continued to observe the tavern, the people in it, and the conversations going on around him. This was an interesting place. He enjoyed being here. He didn't want to return to Skyhold City any time soon, against his father's wishes or not.

"Ahh so how many sticks in the mud are on this council he has to answer too?  Still kinda rude that if you leaving he could be removed?"  The idea wasn't so strange as many cultures back on earth especially during the "primitive years" had a set up similar to what has been described.  Just she isn't so sure about the finer details but also doubt one talk in the tavern will leave her an expect in the Avian's government.

"Ohh so are your bones hollow like birds then?   That could have to make getting a break extra complicated wouldn't it?" She was looking at him with an inquisitive stare.  He might not realize it but understanding the workings behind how his race is still able to fly so easy is something she is interested in figuring out.   Especially this strange gold alloy that is strong enough to be armor but light enough to not render them flightless.

Odessa looked over to Janza and Terra a moment seeing the exchange between the two.  Terra starting to pout more like a child when Janza took the glass away.  Though what concerned Odessa more was it didn't seem to be out of personal concern for Janza.  It seemed more like when she did get Terra to leave she wanted her more clear headed.  She just didn't know why that was so important.

Sirak very sincerely agrees with Odessa on the council. He hates the council. Perhaps one day he would overthrow it himself, maybe. The thought had crossed his mind many times. Maybe the people here could help in that endeavor. Time would tell. He took another drink and was feeling pretty good and relaxed now.

About that time Arngrim wandered passed with a frosty pitcher and topped off his glass with a grin, as well as everyone else's glasses. Arngrim never seem to allow anyone's drink to get completely empty.

"Yes, our bones are indeed hollow, just like any other bird. I've seen some nasty breaks in my day, not my own but my brothers and sisters. We are pretty resilient though, our bones are tougher than you might expect," he continued. He looked at the plate of BBQ again. It wasn't appealing to him, but to him seeing a plate of bird parts was probably not much different than a human seeing a plate of ape or monkey parts.

Sirak took another drink as he listened to the conversation between Janza and Terra. Such a strange interaction, he thought. He'd never seen a couple of females interact in this manner. Avian females were very quiet and reserved where he was from.

“Interesting.” Janza rapped her fingers silently on the table, obviously plotting something. She wasn’t having much luck at the ruins but maybe scouting from above would help.

”I think she likes you...” Terra bobbed her head as she went through a series of hiccups. “You can’t have her though. She’s mine.” 

“I believe that my friend is trying to tell you that I am taken. However, I wouldn’t say no to a free ride on your back. That is if you can hold a passenger of my weight.” Janza wasn’t showing it, but she was starting to get anxious with the whole situation at hand.

She looked over at Janza and the look on her face was that of someone hatching a plan more than fawning over someone.   That didn't bode well with her.  Started to make her think she was only hanging around Terra because she could hopefully gain something not because she cared for the girl at all.  Taking another large drink after Arnie refilled the glasses at the table.

"Thanks Arnie, If  this place wasn't already the best place for a good drink and a bite to eat it would be with your service."

She wasn't sure that made since cause even in her buzzed to drunken state it was a bit muddled.  Looking back over at Sirak.

"Want something to eat I am sure they have something you might like?  What kind of food does your people eat?"

She had noticed he hadn't touched the BBQ, but only figured they were not something he liked.